"Doctors warn of poisoning from hand gels" caught my attention.? Oh boy, I thought.? Yet again something that's supposed to protect us is hurting us.
Oops - false alarm.? Turns out, an inmate and a hospitalized?alcoholic decided to drink it.? It said "alcohol" on the label, so they thought they'd imbibe.? These were two separate incidents that sparked two separate letters to the New England Journal of Medicine.? The inmate - aged 49 - was a "usually calm prison inmate who was described as being 'red-eyed,' 'loony,' 'combative,' and 'intoxicated, lecturing everyone about life'," Dr. Suzanne Doyon of the Maryland Poison Center and Dr. Christopher Welsh of the University of Maryland School of Medicine wrote in one letter.
"Other inmates and staff reported seeing this prisoner drinking from a gallon container of Purell hand sanitizer over the course of the evening. " (see article,?Gene Emery)
Like he had just decided, "Hmm, I think I'll enjoy a little drinking this evening."
The other man, 43, was treated for chest pains and other symptoms.? He was seen drinking the hand sanitizer from the dispenser in the bathroom.? When asked why,?"he pointed to the label, which read, 'Active ingredient 63 percent v/v isopropyl alcohol.' He explained that this percentage is higher than that in vodka." (see article,?Gene Emery)
Dr. Ashkan Emadi and Dr. LeAnn Coberly of the University of Cincinnati suggested that the labels be changed by the makers of the hand gels.
I suggest that people turn on their brains!