Monday, May 26, 2014

Green Breakfast

Or: How to Get Your Kids to Eat Superfoods

Inspired by the green smoothies they made at Bethy's Girl Scout meeting for the Brownie Snacks badge, I bought some fresh spinach and kale to add to my fruit slushy. I added two big handfuls of spinach and a generous handful of kale to the blender with the liquid from a jar of mandarin oranges in 100% fruit juice. After I puréed that, I added two bananas, three chunks of cantaloupe, and three chunks of watermelon. Next came two handfuls of strawberries and two handfuls of blueberries. The last ingredient was a couple of globs (very scientific terms here, people!) natural applesauce.

Sam and I enjoyed some right then. Okay, I confess: I filled up the 23.5 ounce jar the oranges came in and proceeded to gulp down the entire thing, sharing a few sips and spoonfuls with Sam along the way.

I put the blender with rest in the refrigerator. After a while it gets thicker. Sam called it applesauce when I spooned some into a bowl for him this morning.



After he ate some of his, he snitched mine and tried to pour his into my bowl. I helped, and he happily continued eating. Being two-and-a-half, he decided to stick his finger in it then eat it off of his finger.


I am trying to teach the child proper table manners, so I told him to use his spoon. He complied, but not in the way I meant.


I'll just take the victory of him eating a breakfast of green leafy vegetables today. Maybe tomorrow he won't need a bath after eating...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...