Friday, April 9, 2010

Book Review: A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman

I began today to read for my local library's (Mineola Memorial LibrarySpring Reading Challenge. Being the gadget-bound nerd I am, I began by reading children's books to my daughter from my iPhone, then continued by listening to an audio book on it. Here, my GoodReads review of the audio book I enjoyed tonight.


Media_httpphotogoodre_kcnbc

A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
A thoroughly enjoyable short story told by "a friend" of Holmes. Gaiman perfectly captures the elite observational skills of the detective and manages to throw in several surprises despite the shortness of the story.

View all my reviews >>

As further information, I came to know of Gaiman via Twitter, when I saw someone else post about the eminent demise of his beloved cat Zoe. It is sad, I know, that I wasn't aware of him being the writer of Coraline (I haven't seen it, though Michael and the children watched part of it today, oddly enough). I had been thinking of listening to Coraline or Stardust because I had chosen him as the author whose initials are in the word spring (NG), but when I read the description of A Study in Emerald, I knew it was the book for which I was looking. After this first taste, I can assure you I will be remedying my sad lack of Gaiman reading forthwith!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...